Wednesday 5 December 2007

::Vafka:: Colombia


Without any asking, here we go...here are the main three points that summerize why I am in Colombia and what I got from this internship:
  • I came here to overcome all of the prejudice about Colombia and at the same time to challenge my cultural sensitivity

  • I have been learning Spanish and discovering the beauty of a Latin American country
  • I feel that I have contributed to education in a third world country
When I finished my studies at the university last summer, I was facing huge „question mark.“ I was holding my diploma in my hands and thinking about all of the possibilities that life offers. I picked the one that would mean significant change for more than only one person. From all of the internships that you can choose in AIESEC, I decided to choose an educational one in Colombia.

Yeah, my parents worried a lot when they heard about my decision. However, I wanted to challenge all of the prejudice that exists about Colombia. I have already spent 11 months teaching kids and adolescents English, learning Spanish, visiting beautiful places which look like paradise, dancing salsa, eating exotic fruit and drinking world famous coffee. I have also been writing about my experience on my blog to let Slovak speaking world know that there was not a reason to worry. At the same time, I have had several opportunities to do a presentation about Slovakia.

As a participant in a project called Medellin Going Global, I understood why multiculturalism and internationalism are important issues for Colombia. Living in a fear from the past, many Colombians don’t travel at all and don’t see the importance of learning foreign languages. I did not realize how big impact one teacher could have, until one of my little students approached me, hugged me and told me: -Teacher, I want to be like you! I want to travel to other countries just like you.-
I am happy that the aim of the project came true.



This great Colombian experience has encouraged me to look for another opportunity with AIESEC internship. Let's see what will be the next...

No comments: